Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I've been having deja vu lately...perhaps there's a glitch in the...never mind. The weird thing is that I don't think I really remembered the situation, it just seemed that way. It's like my short-term memory is playing tricks on my mind...did I say that out loud?


On a completely different note...Where is the line between freedom in Christ within the bounds of His moral law, and living God's ideal? When making decisions in life, should our inquiry as Christians end at the moral law? Or should we seek a higher standard? What is that standard? Who determines it? How is it discovered? Questions to ponder...


A good article on the subject: Recovering the Art of Christian Prudence

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate deja vu as well.  I had that happen a few times the other day.  It was right out of the scene from Monty Pythons' Flying Circus.  It shows this guy riding a trolley, and each time he recognizes the feeling of deja vu sooner.  So, the repeating scene gets shorter and shorter...Silyness. 
On your other topic.  Christian liberty.  Where to draw the line.  I think obviously first of that all things are permissable, yet, not all are profitable.  So, obviously, the things that are listed the New Testament like sexual perversion and drunkenness and so on are obviously, not permissable.  They are out of the moral law boundary.  So, I think like to answer your question.  Drinking is not bad...keep it to where you're not getting drunk though.  And, if a brither is offended or is caused to stumble by that, you're to blame.  So, poiunt is be very careful.  About music...obviously not all music is most glorifying of our Lord.  So, limit it to what is clean and safe.  I am of themind that profanity is not a good vice to begin.  I cannot find any scriptural evidence that supports using profane words to release anger.  I konw Jesus got really mad at teh temple at the money changers, but somehow I doubt he cussed them out...  In short, I think it is safest to play life seeking the higher road.  But, I think that our freedom in Christ allows us to enjoy some things in life as well, so don't let yourself get sucked into legalism either.  If you're freedom is leading to depravity...you've gone too far.  If you've gone to the point of legalism and no joy can be had in life, you have gone way too far as well.  So live in the balance of it all. 
That is my best at the top of my head at 12 at night.
D

tpaulshippy said...

Thanks Dustin, I appreciate your thoughts. I agree with you that balance is the key.
Paul