Saturday, May 03, 2003

I wish I was more creative. I think I will be reading a lot of high-quality fiction this summer, to increase my imaginative thought-processes. Suggestions from anyone?


The Matrix: Reloaded is coming out in a couple of weeks, and though I would love to see it I probably won't because if the MPAA rates it R for "some sexuality" there's probably some stuff in it that I shouldn't put before my eyes. Hopefully scenes can be skipped when the DVD comes out...But perhaps I can still enjoy the movie's success, financially that is. Yesterday I purchased some stock in IMAX. I expect the company to do well because they will be showing the Matrix sequels in the huge-screen theatres, along with some big NASCAR movie coming next year. So everyone go out and see IMAX movies! Thanks.


A question that's been on my mind: Does the Great Commission mandate the extension of Christ's dominion into all areas of life, or is it merely a matter of spiritual re-birth?


Paul

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ask hard question.  Great thinking.  Btw, Matrix 2...I will prolly not go see it either.  I totally agree with your thing about not setting worthless things before your eyes.  I am not a huge fan anyhow.  I enjoy a good movie...but am not huge fan of matrix...
D

hbmartin said...

The last Matrix was also rated R, for sci-fi violence and language. Does this mean you aren't as concerned about what you set before your ears as you are about what you set before your eyes?On the IMAX, I read Revolutions is going to come out on the IMAX at the same time it is every where else.But is it right to profit on some thing you morally disagree with?Ah well, there's always ROTK. :D

tpaulshippy said...

Yes, I do distinguish between what comes into my ears and what is put before my ears. I think I am much more susceptible to temptation in the latter than the former.
Your other question is a good question and went through my mind after I posted the entry. I would argue that watching the movie is not immoral. Rather it is an attitude or frame of mind while watching a particular scene or scenes of the movie which is immoral. I believe it is better for me to avoid that temptation, however I do not concede the possibility that some might be able to handle it. And I will probably spend money to see it at some point (edited). I am not responsible for the thoughts of movie viewers and it's really a matter of drawing a line in the chain of responsibility. I don't think my purchase of IMAX stock will support or encourage sinful thinking. So I don't have a problem with gaining profit from the success of the movie. I think I've made myself clear on the dangers of watching the movie. I welcome any counter-arguments.