Friday, February 20, 2004

I am in Owensboro, KY on my first debate tournament. I am sitting in the hotel room enjoying the free wireless internet. Thank you Ramada. I just want to say, before I go to bed - I LOVE DEBATE!


Daniel Burns is my debate partner and the resolution is as follows: The United States should significantly reduce its foreign military commitments. Our affirmative case is that the US should withdraw all troops from South Korea, redeploy them to the war on terror (relieving the National Guard and reserves) and terminate our mutual defense treaty with SK. We are arguing that the US doesn't need to have troops in South Korea because they can defend themselves and that our plan will 1. lessen North Korea's hostility against the US (because they fear a US invasion as long as our troops are there), 2. relieve the reserves and National Guard, and 3. allow South Korea to develop politically and militarily and become more independent (plus, the people of South Korea don't want us there).


We argued four preliminary rounds this evening. Two affirmative, two negative. Both of our affirmative rounds went very well. In one of the negative rounds, we were arguing against a really idiotic plan so it was easy. The other one wasn't topical (it didn't fulfill the resolution), but we didn't successfully argue that. I feel really good about our presentation and arguments. But we have a lot that we can improve upon. I guess I will know better whether we did very well after I see the ballots and find out whether we break into the out rounds. Whether or not we win, I am having a great time and am learning a lot.

No comments: