Thursday, July 29, 2004

I'm making phone calls for the Bush/Cheney campaign this evening. I
call the number and ask for Tabathia. I can tell that the lady is
having a hard time hearing me, and sounds a little like she might be
hard of hearing. Since I pronounce the name wrong (it's pronounced
Tabatha), she doesn't know who I want, and says something I can't
understand.I continue to try and pronounce the name, to no avail. She
recognizes the last name, so I spell out the first name and finally she
realizes who I'm looking for. She sets the phone down and tells someone
that Tabitha is wanted. Then I hear a different girl saying, "is that
Travis?" She picks up the phone and says, "Hello." I say, "Tabitha?"
Silence. . . Then the original lady picks up the phone and says,
"Tabitha is deaf. She won't be able to hear you." I say, "Ok, can you
ask her a question for me?" while thinking, "Why did you give her the
phone if she's deaf?" I ask her to ask Tabitha if she's voting for
Bush. Eventually, after some more inquiries and comments about Travis,
whoever he is, I get an affirmative answer. I say, "Thank you for your
time. This call was paid for by Bush/Cheney 2004. Goodbye," and hang up
one of the most entertaining phone calls I've ever made. Thinking back,
I don't think she actually handed the phone to Tabitha, but that's what
I thought at the time. And I think the lady I talked to is probably
partially deaf. I'm glad Tabitha's voting for Bush, and it's a good
thing they don't require the ability to hear when casting a ballot.
That skill would be nice when answering a phone, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, sweets :)

Anonymous said...

If you enjoyed RC Sproul, Jr's teaching at the Arizona homeschool conference then you might want to also consider his article, "In Praise of Gridlock."