Thursday, July 10, 2003

"There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.


I believe that the most lawless and inordinate loves are less contrary to God's will than a self-invited and self-protective lovelessness... We shall draw nearer to God, not by trying to avoid the sufferings inherent in all loves, but by accepting them and offering them to Him; throwing away all defensive armor. If our hearts need to be broken, and if He chooses this as the way in which they should break, so be it." - from The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis


Read that quote again. And again. And again. And again. I did last night....and God used it to change my mind.


Why did it affect me? Because it hit me square in the face. In the name of safety, I myself have wrapped my heart carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries, avoided entanglements, and locked it up. It has not been broken. But it has begun to change. It has started to become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. Thankfully, I don't think I've reached that point, and I am confident that God can undo the damage I have done.


What am I talking about exactly? When I was about 13, I was introduced to the teachings of a man named Jonathan Lindvall. I listened to his tapes and attended one of his seminars. One of the primary beliefs I accepted from his teaching was that I should avoid and suppress romantic emotions before I make a lifelong commitment with my future wife. Notice that the idea was not that romantic emotions should be understood and controlled, but rather avoided and suppressed. My rationale behind this idea was threefold:


Saving romantic feelings until after commitment would...
1. Make me emotionally pure.
2. Save me (and any women who I would love) from the feelings from the pain and heartbreak of rejection/separation.
3. Ensure that my decision of who to marry would not be based on feelings.


These are ideas that I firmly believed were both reasonable and biblical, until a couple of days ago. Early Monday morning, I got an e-mail from Robin Phillips. He wrote because he saw my website and was interested in my belief in betrothal. Robin is the son of famed Christian author Michael Phillips, whose book on courship/betrothal Best Friends for Life was read and enjoyed by my family a couple of years ago. He directed me to his website, which I have spent the last couple of days reading. On it, he critiques the ideas behind Lindvall-esque betrothal. At first, I dismissed most of his arguments because they were clearly affected by his strong disagreement with both Lindvall and his parents on the issue of parental authority (see his testimony). However, his points about the weakness of Lindvall's biblical argumentation in support of betrothal were very convincing.


As of yesterday, I was still convinced of the basic premise behind betrothal, and still agreed with the three points made above. I was working on writing a response to the arguments Robin made in his articles, and began to critically analyze my own arguments on the matter.


First is the idea of emotional purity. Where does this idea come from? It's not biblical, at least not that I can think of. And when I really thought it through, all it meant was having emotions that hadn't been broken. So it was just an extension of point number two.


Secondly I thought about the idea that the pain and heartbreak of broken relationships should be avoided. Though it seems to make sense at first, especially to the American "safety and security" mindset, it is really a lie. And I recognized the lie when I read Lewis's words in the quote above: "If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one...The alternative to tragedy, or at least the risk of tragedy, is damnation." Tragedy, pain, brokenness, can all result from giving your heart to someone that isn't fully committed to you. But THAT'S OK! "We shall draw nearer to God, not by trying to avoid the sufferings inherent in all loves, but by accepting them and offering them to Him; throwing away all defensive armor. If our hearts need to be broken, and if He chooses this as the way in which they should break, so be it."


This was the clincher for me. The concept was introduced to me when I read Desiring God by John Piper a year ago, that the definition of love was delighting in the delight of another. Dell Cook taught this same concept at WVA AZ this year. I guess what I never fully believed about this concept was the truth that real love always involves emotions. And therefore love without emotions is not real love at all. I realized last night that avoiding or suppressing my emotions is never a good idea, because they are an integral part of why God made me.


So I was left with point number three. The fear here is that if emotions are part of a relationship prior to commitment, then the decision to get married will be adversely affected by the presence of those emotions. In other words, emotions can cloud our thinking. Responding to this argument, Robin's section in his book called "Is Love Blind?" points out that "love on the deepest level [is] love that sees deeply to the intrinsic person." He quotes Peter Kreeft who stated "[Love] is the supreme vision, the supreme wisdom, the supreme enlightenment. God is love, and God is not blind; therefore, love is not blind. When we say 'love is blind', we may be thinking of selfish love, or animal love, or puppy love. That may be blind. But agape love is not blind." The emotion-filled love that should precede commitment is not irrational, as long as it's true.


Additionally, there is the concern that if a couple's relationship is based on emotions, then when the emotions are lost, the relationship will be abandoned. But it is a false dichotomy to say that a relationship is either based on commitment or emotions. Why can't it be both? Aren't married people supposed to cultivate and share deep emotions for one another? And can they not, at the same time, be fully committed to one another? Sure there is the danger that emotions will fade and the relationship will lose its vitality. But that doesn't mean we should abandon emotions entirely! The answer to infidelity is not subtracting emotion, but rather adding commitment to the emotion.


Let me be clear. Neither I nor Robin advocate recreational dating. That is, I still believe it to be extremely unwise to approach relationships with the opposite sex with a cavalier, selfish, and "anything goes" attitude. Young people who are not seriously seeking to get married should focus on developing their relationship with Christ and serving both their brothers and sisters in love. I have still "kissed dating goodbye," to borrow the saying.


What has changed is that the process by which I choose my wife will no longer be devoid of emotion. It will be full of emotion, and risks will be taken for the sake of love. However the change of my mind extends beyond my view of pre-marital romance, into my view of love in general. It's one thing to intellectually assent to the concept of delighting in another's delight. But to believe it deep down and act upon that belief is a completely different thing. Though I've still got a long way to go, I think that God has started unlocking my heart, and I trust that He will redeem the years I've spent trying to keep it intact. I pray that God would help me to "throw away all defensive armor" and that He would make me willing to have my heart broken. May my love be dangerously passionate!


Thank you Robin for writing from your heart the things that God has taught you. Thank you God for transforming my mind and continually conforming me to the image of Your Son.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,You excellently laid out how I have come to feel over time as well. I like you had the idea I was obeying God by devoiding myself of emotion when it came to relationships. What I came to realize it that even with my male friends whom I could NEVER share a romantic bond, I was lacking a real depthm I didn't know what true friendship was...crying with those who cry, laughing with those who laugh... I had taken my opposite sex stance and unintentionally applied it to ALL aspects and relationships in my life. As you'd affirm that is extremely unhealthy. The other thought I wanted to share with you is this: God uses people, time, and circumstances to grow and teach you essential life lessons. In my case, I have never even given thought to casual dating or just not caring for a females emotions. I have actually learned how to be a close friend without attaching strings or creating a situation for myself to use that to "research them." I will admit that I have liked/learned to love a few girls in the past few years, only to find that by following proper protocol (talking with her father first after discussing with my parents)that God had used that situation to teach me certain things. For example, with one young lady, after knowing her for years, I sounded her father out to see where he thought she stood. I was informed that she was already committed to another...the lesson I got from that was that I learned how to see a goal and really strive to reach it. Previous to that I was plodding through school slowly and with little fervor. I realized in order to make myself the man I needed to be I needed to be out of school and really building my life. So, as a result I got on the adult track and really focused my efforts on growing, being a better time manager...so on. To this day I still perservere and labor with the goal of being prepared when my time comes. I do not want to be caught unready when God sees fit to reveal my future spouse.The other lesson I learned from another interest was how to learn to accept a person for who they are -- do not get me wrong, this person did not have major issues, just getting to know that person I learned that I can really really appreciate an individual for who they are, not who they are capable of becoming, or anything of that nature. What I am saying is that while I never "dated" these individuals and they in all honesty probably do not realize I ever liked them, I learned things by God's design -- lessons that I am sure my future wife will be glad I learned.I hope this all made sense...I'm running on about 15 hours of sleep in the last 72 hours of waking life. D

Special_KG said...

Dear Paul, I, too was introduced to Jonathan Lindvall at the age of 12 or 13, and thought that it sounded like solid advice. But as time has passed by, I have given the matter more thought, and I have come to the same conclusion that you have-Jonathan Lindvall's ideas are as 'Biblical' as they appear to be. In hermeneutical matters, it is very important to discriminate between the didactic and historical passages of scripture, we are not commanded to emulate the actions of those in historical sections of the Bible. Abraham lived in a tent and wore a dress-does that mean to be a man of God that men today should live in tents? Of course not! However, this is the same reasoning that Jonathan Lindvall uses to justify betrothal-he claims that because betrothal was the method of finding a spouse in the Bible, it must be the only Godly way to find a life partner even though there is no such Biblical command to do so.About a year ago, I decided to listen to our Jonathan Lindvall tapes again to make sure I was not speaking against his teachings wrongly. After listening to them again, I felt all the more sincere in my belief that his method is not Biblical. He proves his points with scripture that is taken out of context and uses poor logic as well. I think that I am also slightly jaded because I have a very dear friend who used the Jonathan Lindvall method and it was a horrible experience for her. So I guess that I saw the effects of his teachings in real life, which has further persuaded me that his method is not what I feel led to do. 'The Four Loves' is a book that has changed my life, C.S. Lewis has a style of writing that pierces my heart and makes me want to change. The passage you quoted is one that I turn to often. When I was trying to do the Jonathan Lindvall thing, I thought that I should feel no romantic feelings whatsoever, and so if I felt a twinge of attraction to someone, I would stuff it denying that I felt anything at all. But now, I have realized that emotional honesty is so important, and it feels wonderfully freeing to me to be able to admit my feelings and then give them to God rather than trying to pretend they don't exist. Sorry for dumping so much, but you really hit a chord with me on this post. Props for thinking critically about JL teachings.KatieP.S. I am not saying that we cannot learn anything from the historical sections of scripture. I am only saying that they are not instructional passages. K

Special_KG said...

Oops...that should read JL's teachings are NOT as 'Biblical' as they appear.K

Rosannabud said...

Dear Paul,I get this story in a forwarded e-mail, you may have seen it before, but I thought I'd post it here because it illustrates your point so beautifully."One day a young man was standing in the middle of the town proclaiming that he had the most beautiful heart in the whole valley. A large crowd gathered and they all admired his heart for it was perfect. There was not a mark or a flaw in it. Yes, they all agreed it truly was the most beautiful heart they had ever seen.The young man was very proud and boasted more loudly about his beautiful heart. Suddenly, an old man appeared at the front of the crowd and said, "Why, your heart is not nearly as beautiful as mine."The crowd and the young man looked at the old man's heart. It was beating strongly, but full of scars, it had places where pieces had been removed and other pieces put in, but they didn't fit quite right and there were several jagged edges. In fact, in some places there were deep gouges where whole pieces were missing.The people stared! - "how can he say his heart is more beautiful?" theythought. The young man looked at the old man's heart and saw its state and laughed. "You must be joking," he said. Compare your heart with mine, mine is perfect and yours is a mess of scars and tears.""Yes," said the old man, "yours is perfect looking but I would never tradewith you. You see, every scar represents a person to whom I have given my love - I tear out a piece of my heart and give it to them, and often they give me a piece of their heart which fits into the empty place in my heart, but because the pieces aren't exact, I have some rough edges, which I cherish, because they remind me of the love we shared. Sometimes I have given pieces of my heart away, and the other person hasn't returned a piece of his heart to me. These are the empty gouges-- giving love is taking a chance. Although these gouges are painful, they stay open, reminding me of the love I have for these people too, and I hope someday they may return and fill the space I have waiting. So now do you see what true beauty is?"The young man stood silently with tears running down his cheeks. He walked up to the old man, reached into his perfect young and beautiful heart, and ripped a piece out. He offered it to the old man with trembling hands. The old man took his offering, placed it in his heart and then took a piece from his old scarred heart and placed it in the wound in the young man's heart.It fit, but not perfectly, as there were some jagged edges. The young manlooked at his heart, not perfect anymore but more beautiful than ever, since love from the old man's heart flowed into his. They embraced and walked away side by side.How sad it must be to go through life with a whole heart" Having experienced both sides of the coin, so to speak, I know that before my heart was "broken" I was just like that proud, ignorant young man. I have a long way to go before I'm like the wise old man, but now my eyes have been opened and my heart warmed by experiencing risk-taking love. It truly changed my perspective on ALL my relationships.

latteda said...

Awesome thoughts, thanks. AFter embracing the ideas of courtship/betrothal for many years, God began to change my mind and cause me to reevaluate things, of which I am very grateful. The things you have expressed have been on my heart so much for quite awhile, but I do not know very many people who feel the same way as I do about it. One of the main things that helped me in this issue as I was thinking through it was a site a friend gave me. He addresses many of Lindvall's ideas:http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/largerhope/Courtship%20&%20Betrothal%20Essays/History.htmI would really encourage you to read it -- very encouraging and enlightening!Thanks so much for your entry.

latteda said...

Whoops, just realized I gave you the same link that you used in your entry. Sorry 'bout that. :)Mandy

plethora03 said...

You have an amazing  heart and courage.  God bless you in your journey.