Monday, July 21, 2003

Good morning. It is a cloudy day today. Perhaps we will get some rain soon. That would be good. I am spending most of my time at home reading all the C. S. Lewis I can find. I finished The Silent Planet and am nearly through Till We Have Faces. They are delightfully imaginative and profound as expected. I am also reading Boy Meets Girl by Josh Harris. I have always appreciated his writing and the insights and stories in the book have been helpful as I continue to ponder what it means to love. I especially enjoyed his chapter on being a man.


Yesterday I viewed two of the latest Hollywood productions. First, I saw The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Though the special effects were pretty good, that’s about all that was. The character development was weak and the worldview was pantheistic. But the worst part of all was the destruction of the story of Jekyll and Hyde. By creating a good heart in Mr. Hyde, the writers turned him into a Frankenstein. AAAAH! Overall the movie was unbelievable and dull.


The second film I saw was Pirates of the Caribbean. Now it was definitely entertaining. The characters were interesting, and the humor enjoyable. I liked the sword-fight scenes as well. But the movie was ruined by a terrible message at the end. I suspected throughout that they would idolize the "good" pirate, but kept hoping that the story would shift. Unfortunately, the movie mocked absolute morality and order while upholding the use of evil in doing good (the ends justify the means).


PHC is less than a month away. My excitement and anticipation is growing, along with a level of anxiety. It is something I have looked forward to for so long, and I trust that God will change me the moment I arrive even as he is already changing me now. I will need His help in all areas of my life at college and I pray that I would learn to serve him humbly and love others truly.

No comments: