An unpopular subject - the wrath of God.
Mankind exchanges worship of God for worship of self. So God gives them up.
Exchange #1: Misfiring passions. v26-27
- Homosexuality is an example of the judgment of God.
- Our physiology is clearly not meant for this.
- Creation is being undone.
- This is men with boys. No, because women are included.
- Paul didn't understand homosexuals. Yes he did.
- This is something people are born with. The same is true of heterosexual lust and lots of other sinful tendencies.
- What about same-sex attraction? Temptation is not sin. Christians struggle against their sinful tendencies.
How are Christians to speak about this issue? Clearly, but gently and lovingly. Hateful rhetoric is wicked.
Homosexuals don't need heterosexuality. They need Jesus.
Exchange #2: Unsound mind. v28-31
Your own mind is your enemy, if you are not a Christian. This is why reason alone cannot lead someone to Christ.
All of us can see ourselves in this vice list.
Exchange #3: Approval of idolatry. v32
This is an anti-evangelism.
What do we need?
- A priest, to make sacrifices for us and represent us before God
- A prophet, to tell us about God and take us to Him
- A king, to govern us
Jesus is all of these.
- The Great High Priest. Hebrews 4:14.
- The Prophet of Prophets. Hebrews 1:1-2.
- The King of Kings. 1 Timothy 6:15.
- Savior and God. Titus 2:13.
Because of Jesus, God isn't just not angry with us. He loves us.
The gospel is a powerful offer of forgiveness. Hear it and be grateful.